Carbon Monoxide Safety

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a clear, odourless gas that can be fatal if you’re exposed to high amounts for a prolonged period of time. Here are a few tips to help reduce your risk of carbon monoxide poisoning in your home.

  1. Check your exhaust vents regularly

There are numerous devices and appliances in your home that can expose you to carbon monoxide. Make sure your exhaust vents for your water heating appliances, furnaces, boilers and gas fireplaces do not become obstructed. Check your vents throughout the year, especially in the winter after a large snowfall.

  1. Install Carbon Monoxide detectors

Ensure you’ve installed Carbon Monoxide detectors on all occupied floors and outside of all bedrooms in your home. Remember to check your monitor once a month and replace batteries as needed.

  1. Never run combustion devices indoors

Combustion devices such as generators are designed to run outdoors only. Running these devices indoors can cause a buildup of Carbon Monoxide gas in your home.

If your carbon monoxide alarm sounds, do not attempt to locate the source of the carbon monoxide. Evacuate your home immediately and, once outside in fresh air, call 9-1-1. Do not return to your home until re-entry is approved by a professional.

See more information on carbon monoxide.