- Is the online rebate retroactive?
The online rebate for refrigerators, clothes washers and smart thermostats applies to products purchased as of April 28, 2017. Energy Efficiency Alberta is unable to provide rebates for products purchased prior to this date.
- How does the program work?
To take part in the Online Saving Rebates Program, you would first purchase the eligible rebate product (smart thermostats, clothes washers, or refrigerators) as noted on the online product lists. Please check online prior to making the purchase to confirm that the product is eligible. Purchases can be made either in-store or online.
The application form on the Energy Efficiency Alberta website can be used on any device including desktops, laptops, tablets and smartphones. You’ll need to provide the details about your purchase, and some personal information so that we can send you a rebate cheque.
On the application form, there is button that says “Upload Your Receipt.” We can only accept jpeg, gif, or png images with a maximum file size of 3MB.
- How much will I get back for each product?
Online rebates range between $75 and $100 off per qualifying item.
- For refrigerators, the rebate is $75 for a qualifying Tier 2 fridge, and $100 for a qualifying Tier 3 refrigerator.
- For clothes washers, the rebate for qualifying products is $100 per product.
- For smart thermostats, the rebate for qualifying products is $100 per product.
- Will the receipts have to be scanned and sent from a desktop?
A scanned picture (jpeg, gif or png) that is saved on a desktop, phone or tablet can be uploaded to the application form. A photo can be uploaded to the application form from both desktop and mobile devices.
- I lost my receipt. What can I do to still apply for the rebate?
Please contact your retailer to inquire about a reprint of your receipt. Some retailers may be able to reprint a receipt for a customer. As the receipt is required for verification of the product purchase, Energy Efficiency Alberta is unable to provide a rebate without a valid receipt.
- Can I get a rebate if I buy a fridge/these products online, or do I have to go into a store?
Rebates for fridges, clothes washers and smart thermostats, through the Online Savings Rebates Program, can be obtained with a valid purchase receipt, regardless if it was purchased in-store or online.
- What if I find a fridge that isn’t on your approved list but has comparable performance? Can I get a rebate for that too?
We use an ENERGY STAR® approved list that is managed by the Consortium for Energy Efficiency. If the appliance has the comparable performance to another product, then it would be on this qualifying list, which is updated on a monthly basis with new products that achieve the same criteria.
Energy Efficiency Alberta is unable to offer rebates for products that are not on the approved list.